[X4U] Duplicating?

Mark Des Cotes lists at marksmandesign.ca
Thu Dec 18 07:45:01 PST 2008

On 18-Dec-08, at 2:57 AM, John Baltutis wrote:

> On 12/17/08, Mark Des Cotes <lists at marksmandesign.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I know I can't boot from a USB2 external drive. If I make a clone of
>> my HD to the USB2 external drive using CCC, could I, if the need ever
>> arises, take the drive out of it's enclosure put it in a FireWire
>> enclosure and boot from it? Or do I have to make the clone directly
>> to a FW drive?
>
> Why go through all of that when you can just pop the HD into a FW
> enclosure and
> leave it there. USB is significantly slower than FireWire.

I have a iMac G5 and it only has FW 400 so USB2 is faster (at least I
think it is). I already have a USB2 Dual enclosure with a RAID1
setup. The drive is partitioned into two parts the first of which
I've cloned my HD to. I'm just curious if the cloned HD would boot my
iMac G5 if I removed the drive from the USB2 enclosure and put it in
a FW enclosure. It's only for a worst case scenario. Should my HD
ever fail I can run down to my local computer store and purchase a FW
enclosure for the drive.