[X4U] Sleep issues with v10.5.6

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 29 08:53:22 PST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Linda wrote:

> On 12/29/08 8:00 AM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> ps: I did install some sort of screen saver but did not like it and
>> deleted it.
>
> Ed,
>
> I would still look at your Screen Saver/Energy Saver Preference Panel.
> Chances are it's set to something different than it used to be
> because of
> the screensaver you installed. For example, if there's a "Hot
> Corner" set up
> on the ScreenSaver panel now, you might be inadvertently triggering
> that
> while using your Mac. Also check your Energy Saver settings to make
> sure
> that they didn't get changed by the screensaver when you installed it.
> Depending on what "some sort" of screensaver is, it might have touched
> deeper into your system than you think.
>
> If there's no resolution there, you might try opening Console and
> positioning the window where you can see it, and try to keep an eye
> on it to
> see if there are strange processes going on just before the screens
> go dark.
> If nothing else, you can see what "just happened" when you bring
> the screens
> back up after such an espisode!
>
> (This is assuming you've ruled out a USB problem by testing your
> Mac without
> its third-party USB peripherals such as disks and printer and
> scanner, and
> using your genuine Apple keyboard and mouse.)
>
> ~Linda

I have a 3rd party keyboard and mouse (because the Apple ones suck, IMO)
BTW there was no change in any of the energy panels (that I could see).
I did notice one thing though, I had locked the panel and I notice
that it had become unlocked (even though nothing had changed).
I will watch it and see if it happens again and then dig out my apple
mouse and keyboard, thanks for the idea.
The main issue is it is very sporadic and it will be a test (for me)
to see if I can remember to do the things that you suggest.

Thanks,

Ed