[X4U] HD almost FULL! Update!

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Thu Feb 7 19:29:06 PST 2008

John Baltutis wrote:

>On 02/07/08, Dan A Currie <dancurr at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>

>>My computer, an MDD DUAL 1.25 MHz / 2 GB RAM / 320 GB HD's / NETSCAPE 7.2 / OS X.4.7, has been telling me for a week now that my HD is almost FULL.
>>
>>Is it possible to re-partition without losing all of my information or do I just copy the HD to a storage disk and then set up new partitions?
>>

>Not enough information. Run this command in the Terminal.app (in
>/Applications/Utilities/) and post the results: df -h
>
>IIRC, your machine can hold more than one HD internally. You list 320 GB HD's, but don't say how many or how much space is being used. If you also have ext HDs available, post their numbers and sizes.

Two HD, 1 - 120GB in 3 partitions - 20GB w/19.75GB used, 40GB w/11.4
used and 60Gb w/30 used. The other 200GB is for video storage and editing.

>The following articles have some good tips:
>
>Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk at
><http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/freeingspace.html>
>
>Freeing Up Hard Disk Space at:
><http://guides.macrumors.com/Freeing_Up_Hard_Disk_Space>
>
>Running maintenance routines is critical to keeping the drive clear of unneccesary files:
>
><http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/features/preventmacdisasters/index.php>
><http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html>

Thanks for the websites and I run Disk Utilities and AppleJack routinely.

Is it possible to realign the partitions and increase the space in the
first partition from 20 to 40 without losing data?

Dan Currie