[X4U] Cable modem vs router

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Feb 7 21:34:50 PST 2008

On 8 Feb 2008, at 00:19, Jonnythan wrote:
> I was wondering whether it would be a good plan to install an
> ethernet card
> and run the cable modem directly from that, whilst leaving the router
> connected to the built-in ethernet? Does anyone have any idea
> whether that
> would work and be as good as running from the built-in ethernet?

* mind boggles *

I have no idea how this might work.

Are you saying that your modem has more than one ethernet port?
HINT: if so, it's not just a modem, but a router, too.

> Or is there anything else available that might help e.g. some sort of
> adapter to plug two devices into the built-in ethernet (i.e. a sort of
> router without any of a router's impedence)?

A router should give no significant speed impedance - by
"significant" I mean "measurable in milliseconds".

If your modem already has a router built-in then - should you wish to
increase the number of ports available - you should use a network
switch, rather than a router. If your modem is indeed just a modem -
as I would imagine to be the case - then a switch is probably the
only thing to use in order to connect multiple computers.

I think you should start your explanation - and your own analysis -
from scratch and demonstrate to us how you know your "speed is twice
as good" when going straight from the modem to the Mac's built-in
ethernet. Tell us what ISP you're with & what model of cable modem
you have. I know next to nothing about cable-modems, but others here
may well have faced the same scenario as you.

Stroller.