[X4U] Jonesing

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 15 22:49:15 PST 2008

On 16 Feb 2008, at 01:04, Linda wrote:
> So some of you have written both on and offlist, claiming sources
> that link
> "jonesing" to heroin. That's fine. I like the evolution I read once
> upon a
> time, from Bill Bryson, another well-known and esteemed
> etymologist, better.
> Que sera, sera.

I was unaware of the use of the word "esteemed" as a synonym for
"amateur".
;)

However Apple, as always, has the answer:
   http://stuff.stroller.uk.eu.org/Jonesing.png

I find this New York & geographical assertion made in a number of
places online - Jones Alley runs between Great Jones & Lafayette
Streets and is clearly a salubrious area - however none of them
absolutely convincing or give citations.

The most convincing result I found on Google was:

   Merriam-Webster's first definition, traced to 1965, is that jones
   is slang for habit, addiction. The more recent definition, from
   1974, is to have a strong desire or craving for something."
   http://blogs.kansas.com/editors/2007/11/09/were-not-trying-to-be-
subversive/

The dictionary's online edition does still bear the original
definition: <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jones>

My use of the word "convincing" should be taken in the context that I
was looking to disprove your keeping-up-with-the-Jones etymology.
That just seems bogus to me - I can well imagine Kerouac using
"jones" in a heroin-related context (noun or verb), whereas keeping-
up-with-the-Jones sounds a bit too much like backronisation to my ear.

Stroller.