[X4U] PowerMac recommendations

N netkat at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 09:45:55 PST 2008

I have had outstanding luck with a pair of G4 Mac minis, each with
1-gig sticks. they're the 1.42Ghz models, with Superdrives and Airport,
and were the best Mini available at the time.

Now, I have endured some degree of ridicule because I use these little
guys for doing massive 3D rendering, for editing video using Final Cut
Studio and for doing all manner of photoshop, iTunes ripping/playback,
2-D design and illustration, etc.

But I am here to tell you that those little machines cut timber.

Not as fast as the new intel minis or more powerful Macs, but more than
enough  to handle movie-playing, itunes chores and the other things you
describe. A new intel mini with 1 gig of ram is about $600. Add an
external Firewire 7200 rpm drive as your boot volume for that machine,
and you have a very capable unit which is small, quiet and which will
put a smaller dent in your wallet than other new macs and some used
ones will.

I assume you have a monitor...

just my 2 beans