[X4U] E-Mail programs (Was: Users' judgments of the glossy screen?)

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 27 03:45:15 PST 2008

On 2/26/08 11:49 PM, "Randy B. Singer" <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:48 PM, John Dach wrote:
>
>> PS  I really do not care for iMail but I am fed up with the
>> problems I have been having with Eudora, my e mali application of
>> choice for years, but no more........
>
> Well, one's choice of e-mail program is almost as fun a topic as
> one's choice of word processor.
>
> What made you finally give up on Eudora?  Qualcomm's abandonment of
> Eudora?
>
> Do you know that there are two successors to Eudora  in development?
>
> Penelope (a project that seeks to meld Thunderbird with Eudora)
> http://eudora-penelope.en.softonic.com/mac
>
> Odysseus (a project that seeks to create a more true successor to
> Eudora)
> http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/products/odysseus/index.html
> http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> I personally love Apple's Mail, especially as of OS X 10.4 when it
> became a lot more like Claris Emailer.
> Did you know that there are many add-on's for Mail?  See:
> http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm
>
> However, you aren't limited to Mail if you are moving away from
> Eudora.  In fact, there are about 30 different e-mail programs for OS
> X.  Let me know if you want a list of them.

> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

I know that Mr. Singer might be surprised at by answer to this post, but,
since Office 2008 came out and OF COURSE I bought it, I have to say that
Entourage does an excellent job of handling email.  It even has some pretty
good junk mail filters built right in and saves me a lot of time not having
to read crap.
I'm am very impressed with the Entire Office 2008 suite of Applications
though I do still prefer Keynote to Power Point.  Word shines as usual and
Excel is still the choice of millions as far as a spreadsheet app.
So, confused about what mail application to use?  Entourage 2008 is the
CLEAR answer.

Tim Collier