[X4U] E-Mail programs (Was: Users' judgments of the glossy screen?)

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Feb 27 09:31:58 PST 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Tim Collier wrote:

> I know that Mr. Singer might be surprised at by answer to this post,

I'm not.  Why would I be?

> but,
> since Office 2008 came out and OF COURSE I bought it, I have to say
> that
> Entourage does an excellent job of handling email.  It even has
> some pretty
> good junk mail filters built right in and saves me a lot of time
> not having
> to read crap.
>
> So, confused about what mail application to use?  Entourage 2008 is
> the
> CLEAR answer.

With Eudora being discontinued by Qualcomm, Entourage is left at the
top of the heap as the most advanced e-mail program for the
Macintosh.  Nothing else for the Mac has as many features for the
power-user.  However, even though I'm told that there have been some
substantial advances in terms of reliability for Entourage, it still
has one glaring, HUGE weakness, and that is that it keeps all of your
archived mail in one monolithic database.  If that database becomes
corrupted (as has been known to happen all too frequently), and it
cannot be rebuilt, you are SOL.  Once can work-around this by keeping
backups of one's database, but many folks prefer the security of
using a program like Mail, which keeps separate e-mail messages in
separate Finder-readable files.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html