[X4U] APPLE's Mail Program

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 1 05:30:26 PST 2008

At 0 13  -0600 1/1/08, Ed Gould wrote:
>I subscribe to a *extremely* technical computer email list. Once in
>a great while I post a URL that wraps the line.
<snip>
>One suggested I put "<" and ">" before and after the URL. I did that
>and according to them it still violated the RFC. In other words they
>are a hypercritical bunch and are of the type that do know it all
>(sigh). I am *NOT* conversant in the RFC's to try and even argue one
>way or the other. How would any of you handle this type of situation?

They don't sound like a fun bunch! But it's strange that they would
say to use brackets and then object. It makes me wonder if you did
something I have seen from time to time:  might you have put the URL
in brackets but omitted the "http"?  I've seen people trying to do
the right thing, posting a URL like this:

<www.google.com>

Of course, that doesn't work, even though they used brackets. THIS would work:

<http://www.google.com>

Might that have been what happened?

Daly