[X4U] iMac dead?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 1 06:52:27 PST 2008

On 31 Dec 2007, at 14:35, Mary C. Youra wrote:

> We killed my mother's iMac G4 (the desklamp variety), and I'm
> wondering if there is any thing we can do to bring it back to
> working order, or if we should part it out?

I'm sure working order is quite attainable.

 From the description of the symptoms the worst case would be
replacement of the hard-drive - in fact, I might recommend this in
any case, as it's quite possible the corruption of the filesystem was
caused by impending hard-drive failure (a smartd status of "good" is
not conclusively reliable - I think a drive may fail showing this
around 1/2 the time). If you can recover the machine to booting
status then you could clone the current drive to a new one before
replacing it.

I don't think it's too hard to replace the drive in an iLamp. All the
components are in the base, after all.

Stroller.