[X4U] Apple's Mail Application

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Tue Jan 1 13:01:53 PST 2008

On 1/1/08 1:49 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

> I tried that and it didn't work. I also got "dinged" for doing it.
> Apple may handle it OK internally as I when I got a copy back it was
> correct but almost none of the other people said it worked.

That sounds like the fault of the server or mail list software that's being
used, then. Yahoo often munges URLs within < >, and HTML often munges URLs
within < >, but using the < > has more chance of working than any other way
I know of. I'd hazard a guess the other guys are using Outlook, which
apparently has a reputation for ignoring those angle brackets (which I
didn't know until I started looking for a solution to your problem).

Given that using < > around URLs has been around since 8/1998, and is itself
found in an RFC -- RFC2396, to be exact, it's a wonder that the other list
members gripe about it! <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt>

You aren't the only person to notice this "breaking" of URLs in mail from
Mail. Here's a blog entry from 10-19-2007 -- noticed, but not fixed, except
to use tinyurl or snipurl or one of the other shortening services:

<http://notbrainsurgery.livejournal.com/tag/apple>

There's an Add Hyperlink item in Mail (Under Edit, near the bottom, you'll
find Add Hyperlink). You might try testing that to see if the other members
of that other list are satisfied with it.

Sorry they beat on you. I'm on some lists that are that way. My sympathies.

~Linda
--
Recently released: _This Water Goes North_ from Mániténáhk Books.
Hardcover, nonfiction. 240 pages + 16-page color photo insert.