[X4U] Spotlight search results are not sortable by usual Finder metadata

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 12:51:39 PST 2008

I filed this one as a bug report.  Searched back through the
archives...have we had our usual complaint-fest about this one?  I'm
curious to hear the List's  input.

Unfortunately, the files are not sortable by Date Created or Date
Modified.

Steps to Reproduce:
1.  Start a Spotlight search, and select "Show All", OR use the
command-F command in Finder to start a search.
2.  Notice the resulting search results window results are sortable
only by Name, Kind, and Last Opened.
3.  Unfortunately, the files are not sortable by Date Created or Date
Modified, two of the most useful Finder attributes dating back to
System 1.

Expected Results:
The returned results should be sortable by any of the file attributes
that are sortable in a regular Finder window, such as by Date Created
or Date Modified, or by Label or Version.

Actual Results:
The files are not sortable by Date Created or Date Modified, two of
the most useful Finder attributes dating back to System 1. Unable to
sort by Label or Version, either.

OK, can we agree that they just FORGOT to include this feature in
Spotlight?  Surely the glaring admission of this counts as a bug.  I
know that someone out there uses Sort by Last Opened...but not me.  Am
I in the minority?

Discuss :-)

Michael