[X4U] Safari problem

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 8 03:03:31 PST 2008

On 7 Jan 2008, at 23:49, Robert wrote:

> Got a friend thats running 10.4 and Safari 3.0.4. He has set his
> home page to Yahoo.com. After he types any thing into Yahoo search
> box he gets http://best-result.com. We went into prefs and resetup
> yahoo as his home page, We reset safari. We also cleared the cache.
> We also went into his home folder, library, and moved the safari
> folder out. Restarted Safari again. Typed into the yahoo search box
> http://best-result.com shows up. Any idea where we can get this not
> to show up. Thanks in advance. Bob

Check DNS settings.

If they seem correct then please post the results of `nslookup
search.yahoo.com` (run in terminal).

Please describe your friend's connection to the internet.
Is he using a router? What model?

He couldn't possibly be using a PC running Windows Internet
Connection Sharing as an internet gateway?
This sort of behaviour is common on windows boxes which have been
hijacked.

Does the friend ever use Google? One might expect similar behaviour
with Google results, if he has been haX0red.
(Updated: search results for "best-result.com" indicate that the
problem may be unique to Yahoo. All advice is "you seem to have a
virus, run a scan on your PC", however).

I might add that there's a (slim?) possibility that the issue is with
his ISP. When visiting my mother's, since perhaps November, I have to
telnet into her router & change the DNS servers to those of OpenDNS,
otherwise it returns bad results for emachine.stroller.uk.eu.org (but
not, funnily enough compaq.emachine.stroller.uk.eu.org) and my
browser ends up at a spammy website like the one your friend sees. I
don't believe I've ever seen an ISP give incorrect DNS results
before, visiting hundreds of customers in the last 3 years.

Stroller.