[X4U] Extra Applications folder

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Fri Jan 11 05:25:43 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

>> On Jan 10, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Peter Saint James wrote:
>>
>>> 	This function serves a situation where one machine has multiple
>>> users.  An app could be installed in the usual applications folder
>>> so everyone can use it or installed in the applications folder for
>>> just one user.  It keeps clueless parents from messing up the
>>> settings on the children's advanced software.
>>
>> I have a new MacBook, and it does not/not have two application
>> folders. I'm the only user on it at the moment (no guest account or
>> other family member, unlike the iMac); does it create the second
>> folder in my home directory only when there are multiple users?  Am
>> I correct in assuming that I can manually create the second folder
>> in my home directory if I want to move some apps there in the event
>> I do create a guest account? I know I could try some of things on
>> my own to see whether this would work, but everything is working
>> fine and I hesitate to risk upsetting the apple cart playing with
>> apps that way.
>
> My own experience has been that the system provides only one
> Application folder, under the root. But if you add a folder called
> "Applications" under your user folder, it will automatically get a
> special icon from the system.

Ditto here.  The only time I have seen an ~/Applications folder is if
I created it, and I have always had multiple accounts on my Macs.
This is going all the way back to 10.0.

> But others are reporting that the user  Applications folder seems to
> be arriving by itself. I haven't seen that.

I created ~/Applications as a test and it was assigned the same icon
as /Applications (Leopard).  Never noticed that before.

--
Rod

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt