[X4U] Extra Applications folder

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 12 15:56:30 PST 2008

On 12 Jan 2008, at 14:49, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 12:01 PM +0000, 1/12/08, David Ledger wrote:
>
>> But be aware that should you accidentally run some Trojan that may
>> exist in the future, it wouldn't have to ask for a password to
>> attach something to any App in ~/Applications, because you own them.
>
> Where does this belief come from? Users, Groups, & Others have
> rights, not ownership.

Um, some user has ownership for each file on the system.

If you don't know any Unix, this is spelled out if you highlight a
file in Finder & Apple-I.

For each file there is a separate set of permissions for a named
group of users, and there is a third set of permissions pertaining to
other users who are not in that group (this may be what you mean by
"Others").

I notice, however, that programs I have dragged & dropped to the
main /Applications (and those installed by Canon's installer
software) _seem_ to be owned by me, so David's remarks _may_ be moot.

Stroller.