[X4U] iMac dead?

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 14 15:19:06 PST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2007, at 14:35, Mary C. Youra wrote:
>
>> We killed my mother's iMac G4 (the desklamp variety), and I'm
>> wondering if there is any thing we can do to bring it back to
>> working order, or if we should part it out?
>
> I'm sure working order is quite attainable.

Just an update to the saga of my mother's iLamp (originally ours),
which I'd thought we'd killed by not letting Diskwarrior run long
enough and repeated restarts (also getting the message from Disk
Utility that Keys were Out of Order, and a B Tree error, but not
fixable), target mode not finding a disk to reinstall on after
Erasing the OS, so perhaps the Hard Drive had failed: I took it to
the local Mac shop, telling them my tale of woe, and that I thought
it was the hard drive, because when I tried it in target mode, I
couldn't see a drive. They had it about four hours before calling me,
saying that it was ready to be picked up. They told me they had
"uncrossed the keys."  The tech who had worked on it wasn't
available, so I'm not sure exactly how or what that entails, or
whether they'd actually reinstalled the OS (10.4.11).

What I did discover when I booted it at home, was curious. The drive
we thought had been erased was anything but. Restored were two Users
which once had been deleted (before giving the iMac to my mother),
along with all documents (I'm not sure about emails). In  my mother's
User, her email settings were intact, but the email is missing. Her
documents are there, though. Strange things were going on with the
Keychains. I changed the passwords for all the Users with the Tiger
cd, since none of them were working (perhaps the tech had needed them
to be something else, I don't know). Once changed, I expected the
Keychain to be set to the User password, but no. In one deleted user,
it was what it had been reset to by that user previously. But, in my
mother's case, we had to trash the whole login.keychain and have it
recreate when the only two previous ones (and the new login) wouldn't
work, even with uppercase (the only thing in the keychain was her
email password, besides her login password). Both Safari 3 and the
airport card or tcp/ip which had started this whole thing was still
not working. I fixed Safari (first, I tried extracting Safari 3 with
Pacifist, then reinstalled the whole update, thinking that might help
with the tcp/ip thing, too. When that didn't work, I did what I
should have done first--except I read the Apple Discussion for hints--
and trashed the Preferences. Success!), but the Airport or tcp/ip
thing is still peculiar. I have played around with that, and gotten
it to work intermittently--I reinstalled the 10.4.11 combo update,
thinking it might have been the cause. Wireless has worked on
occasion, but I haven't figured out why--once it worked after I'd
trashed a file Diskwarrior told me was bad, but after restarting, it
stopped working. I am of the mind that something in either that
10.4.11 update or the Security Update was a problem, but it's not
that big a deal right now, because my mother can use ethernet for her
connection, which will be faster, anyhow.

This computer has only 512 mb of ram (her hard drive is big--160Gb).
Is there a site where I can check to see how much it can take? If I
want to take her to Leopard, for example, she would need more memory,
wouldn't she? It might seem crazy, but Leopard might be the only way
to surely fix the tcp/ip thing, too.

Many thanks to everyone who helped. I've learned a lot.

Mary