[X4U] iMac dead?

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Mon Jan 14 20:18:50 PST 2008

If one assumes that the hard disk is failing as you suggest, then just
installing Leopard will not resolve that problem.

If the hard disk is failing, you need to identify whether that is the
problem, and if necessary, replace the hard disk.

If the hard disk isn't failing, then why not just do a complete "erase
and install"? I would have tried that long before now.

You appear to be spending more time than is necessary or sensible
trying to avoid doing a clean install.

Copy the data off the drive, install your boot cd. reboot and do an
"erase and install".

Then you can restore your data and applications.

Much simpler, and in the end the best option if your hard disk is not
faulty.

If the hard disk is faulty, then you will need to replace it and then
do an "erase and install" anyways.

Just my 2c worth.

cjc