[X4U] 35mm Slide Scanner for OS X iMac

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Tue Jan 15 20:12:08 PST 2008

In Billings, MT you can get slides scanned for $.29 each in small
numbers, ie. 1 up. They are auto analyzed so these scans would in no
way compare to a $40 scan. Probably depends on what you will be doing
with the scanned image as to which end of the scale to go for. My
guess is that the expensive scans are CMYK and optimized for 4 color
reproductions.

There are flat bed scanners that will do transparencies. Some will do
multiple transparencies. I have not used any of these. Also dedicated
scanners are available that will do one up scans. Prices range from
$100 up. Usually, time involved in doing large numbers of scans is a
burden. You will spend time fixing these images but is doable.

I have an 85 year old friend who has scanned 1000's of 35mm Kodachrome
slides and made prints as a hobby enterprise. Mostly images he took on
many European vacations. His big regret is that while he was taking
these images, he passed on many images because of power lines etc.
which now are easily eliminated in post editing!

Jens

Jens Selvig
...Lost in Montana...