[X4U] Cleanapp (something I didn't know I needed)

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Jan 16 08:24:47 PST 2008

At 8:05 AM -0800, 1/16/08, Jim Robertson wrote:

>Can anyone comment on the under-the-hood aspects of how these things work;

These things typically break more than they fix.

ie. Application 'A' from Company 'B' gets installed and the installer
puts the 'Help' file 'C' where it belongs. The 'application watcher'
program makes note of this.

Application 'B' from Company 'B' gets installed but the installer
already sees Help file 'C' exists where it belongs and even though it
is needed by Application 'B', it does not overwrite the existing file
since it has been enhanced by the user over time.

The user then decides to uninstall Application 'A'. The uninstaller
from the developer (if it exists) uninstalls the Application 'A' but
leave behind the needed file 'C' since they know it might be needed
for other applications.

The user then runs the 'application watcher' and it notices that
Application 'A' no longer exists so it dutifully throws away the Help
file 'C' that it thinks is no longer needed and thus breaks
Application 'B'.
--

Robert Ameeti

I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks.
            -- Totie Fields