[X4U] Re: AppleTV

Neil lists at mac.com
Wed Jan 16 21:55:04 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 10:25 PM, Dennis R. Cohen wrote:

> Between the EyeTV (I just hooked up a 250 Plus, but the new Hybrid
> Plus
> would also suffice) for DVR functionality and the new AppleTV, one
> gets
> a really nice setup. Elgato's products integrate very nicely with the
> AppleTV, iPhone, and iPods.

Yeah, but you still can't watch live TV with any EyeTV product unless
you are on a Mac directly connected to the tuner.  AppleTV  can only
playback content already recorded (and then tediously transcoded if
it wasn't recorded in a supported codec, and HDTV is not broadcasted
OTA in a supported codec).   So, AppleTV clearly can't compete as a
DVR.  It is still mostly for iTunes content with EyeTV playback as a
bonus.   At least now there are rentals and content from lots of
studios.