[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 20 09:54:55 PST 2008

At 12:38 PM -0500 1/20/08, Peter Saint James wrote:
>	It occurs to me that the lack of optical drive might show up
>on other laptops soon.  It might be that Steve is thinking that they
>are as obsolete as modems.  Seems a bit premature to me, but maybe
>not.
>
>	(Not that Steve would have any ego invested in this
>proposition, since he more than anyone else who would be responsible
>for the CD's demise.)

Here is something I actually agree on.  About the only time I use a
CD anymore is to install software, then I have to put that CD
someplace safe.  Though the disappearance of the CD would be more
about something else I suspect, the killing of the non-Apple computer
stores, as the only place to buy software would be online or at one
of Apple's "Mac Stores".

I've mixed feelings on the impending demise of the optical disk.  It
will be more about enabling corporations to treat consumers like
cattle, than doing something beneficial.

Zane