Expandable Mac's (was: [X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 20 10:11:23 PST 2008

At 11:04 AM -0600 1/20/08, Eugene wrote:
>On a related note, CPUs, GPUs, LCDs, etc. of most notebooks cannot be
>replaced or upgraded by end users.  If your digital lifestyle requires
>end-user expandability of tower computers, the only Apple computer that
>suits you is the Mac Pro --- no iMac, no MacBook, no MacBook Pro, no
>MacBook Air.  No problem.

Actually this brings up an interesting point.  What I've really been
hoping Apple would release.  I need a system like the "Mac Pro",
however, I really don't need a 8-core Xeon system capable of holding
32Gb of RAM.  I'd like one, but I *really* do not need one.  My dual
2Ghz G5 is still capable of doing most everything I need, but I would
like a newer faster system.

A nice Core 2 Duo, or quad-core Core 2 is enough CPU power for what I
need.  OTOH, I need plenty of disk space, and more than 4Gb RAM.
Basically I need a Sun Ultra 24 running Mac OS X.
http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra24/index.xml

Why is it that Apple doesn't offer something like this?  I know for a
fact I'm not the only one that wants a system like this.  Of course I
can tell you why, so they can force those of us that need such a
system into buying a "Mac Pro".  I'm not sure if this makes good
business sense or not, as a lot of us would likely replace our
systems more often if we could buy something like that $1k Sun Ultra
24 (Core 2 Duo, 8Gb RAM max, and 4 HD bays, plus card slots).

Zane