[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 20 21:56:36 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 10:57 PM, Wendy S. Austin wrote:

> Zane,
>
> I do not understand why you are so emotional that you feel the need
> to insult people for whom the MacBook Air is a good choice for
> their circumstances, ie, international airline pilot and others who
> travel a lot.   I do not know your circumstances so cannot comment
> on whether or not you need the MacBook Air, similarly you do not
> know mine so I do not see why you are casting aspersions.    You
> also need to understand  that people who fly a lot often do injury
> to their backs by lugging around heavy flight bags and will place
> their health at a higher premium than how much they pay for a laptop.
>
> As to your comment below, I hope the next time you get on an
> aeroplane your pilot/s aren't MacBook Air users .........
>
> Wendy

Wendy,

I used to travel extensively (3 out 4 weeks a month). I *NEVER*
traveled lightly. Invariably I would have 2 (2 suit) cases and a
brief case *AND* something else. At the minimum at least a computer
(this was 15+ years ago and computers were a *LOT* heavier than
today).  This was domestically and international. I will admit when I
went on vacation the computer was left behind *UNLESS* I was on a
work assignment and went directly on vacation.

I really never had a problem while on board a plane (of course I did
fly first class). Once in a great while you get hassled by security
for something about the computer but the weight was never a factor
(err I take that back one time I was flying in the Caribbean and they
wanted to weigh me and the computer on the scale so they could
calculate the right amount of fuel).  That was just strange and made
me want to switch over to a jet but I digress.
My computers over the years got the job done, yes the next upgrade I
got a CDROM then the next upgrade I got a DVD/CDROM  player so I
could listen/watch demo's from vendors while I was on the plane. It
got to be mandatory to have an optical drive as part of the computer.
I no longer travel but people who came after me (in the same job)
tell me a optical drive is mandatory for most of their needs. Sure
you can probably buy an external one but powering it on a plane is
next to impossible.

I don't profess to know the limitations of any mac portable, but the
people who carried on after I left have all said that (lots of)
memory and optical drive are mandatory.

Ed

It was awkward getting on/off a plane