[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 20 22:03:09 PST 2008

At 8:57 AM +0400 1/21/08, Wendy S. Austin wrote:
>I do not understand why you are so emotional that you feel the need
>to insult people for whom the MacBook Air is a good choice for their
>circumstances, ie, international airline pilot and others who travel
>a lot.   I do not know your circumstances so cannot comment on
>whether or not you need the MacBook Air, similarly you do not know
>mine so I do not see why you are casting aspersions.    You also
>need to understand  that people who fly a lot often do injury to
>their backs by lugging around heavy flight bags and will place their
>health at a higher premium than how much they pay for a laptop.
>
>As to your comment below, I hope the next time you get on an
>aeroplane your pilot/s aren't MacBook Air users .........

Wendy,
I must admit that my comment was extremely rude and uncalled for.
The problem is I don't like seeing people get ripped off, and as far
as I was concerned when I wrote that, that was what Apple is doing.
Realizing that the MacBook only ships with 1Gb, makes the price of
the MacBook Air a bit more reasonable[1].  I still think that the
MacBook is the better choice, and that people would be better off
spending the difference on something else.  But then *ANY* of today's
laptops, including the 17" models, are lightweight compared to the
ones I started traveling with.

As for the "more money than brains", even I've been known to make
laptop purchases that fall into that category.

I am curious about one thing, everyone is interested in the weight
aspect, shoot that's what interests me about it, that and the size.
How many people care about the thickness (I don't)?  I think that
part of why it costs so much is the thickness, yet I would think that
if they'd gone a little thicker they could have saved money, and
still come in at about the same weight.  That special CPU can't be
cheap, and might be the reason for the $550-700 price difference.

Zane

[1] The MacBook itself is overpriced.