[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 20 23:33:35 PST 2008

At 11:24 PM -0800 1/20/08, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:
>On 1/20/08 8:20 AM, Shawn King <shawn at yourmaclifeshow.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 1/19/08 11:42 AM, "Dave B" <DaveB_Lists_1004 at gto.net> wrote:
>>
>>>   the Air requires additional
>>>  hardware to be fully functional.
>>
>>  It obviously depends on what you mean by "fully functional". Lots of people
>>  will buy the air and find it's functions as full as they need.
>
>I find it hard to believe that someone would buy the Air and not need a
>program like Word, PowerPoint or Keynote. All of these would require the use
>of additional hardware (external optical drive, secondary computer) to
>install these programs.
>
>Is there anyone who uses a Mac that hasn't installed software via a CD or
>DVD?

Once you're installed though you're good to go.  Someone mentioned
that you can do the installs at the Apple Store, I don't know if this
is true, but it sounds plausible.  It's not intended to be a primary
system, so hopefully your primary is a Mac with an Optical drive, and
you can then access that systems Optical drive wirelessly (assuming
it's modern enough).

I think from this aspect the "Mac Book Air" is fully as revolutionary
as the original iMac's and G4 PowerMac's for shipping without floppy
drives.

For my current work laptop, I've never *needed* an optical drive.  I
install everything over the network.  I've had that laptop for just
short of 4 years.

Zane