[X4U] Re: Expandable Mac's (Holy shit! Here comes an S!)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Jan 21 11:44:45 PST 2008

At 1:33 PM +0000 1/21/08, Stroller wrote:
>On 20 Jan 2008, at 18:11, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>I like good-quality computers, I can't bring
>myself to buy a machine without PCI slots or
>enough space for a second hard-drive or extra
>RAM. I won't buy a machine with a built-in
>monitor on the principle that I already have two
>perfectly good monitors here. I am probably only
>just in the class of people

I really don't care that much about the PCI slot
issue, I don't have any cards in my G5, if I did
add something it would be an eSATA card.  I
decided to go FireWire for my audio interface
when I learned that my Darla24 wouldn't work in
my G4/450 AGP (it had been in my 8500/180).  I do
care about the RAM, I will not run a desktop with
a built in monitor, and I'm drooling over the
thought of a Mac with 4 HD bays.

>for whom an iMac seems a little inadequate - I'd
>love an Intel Mac on my desktop and my G5 is
>starting to feel a little slow for just one or
>two activities, but the price of a MacPro is
>prohibitive and I can live with my G5 for the
>present.

I'm curious as to which apps.  I do know the
latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is quite
sluggish.  I'm still using 6.0.2 Professional.
IIRC, the Dreamweaver CS3 demo I tried was
sluggish as well.  I find Adobe Lightroom to work
quite nicely on my G5 2x2, though iPhoto has
gotten very sluggish.  I think these are the
extent of my complaints.  My G4/450 after 4 years
was almost unusable it was so slow, same with the
8500/180 after 2-3.

>If you order a MacPro you don't HAVE to have 2 x
>quad-cores. There's a build-to-order option that
>allows you to elect only a single quad-core
>processor and - here in the UK - it shaves about
>£300 off the price. This brings the MacPro into
>the realms of affordable, about what I've paid
>for Power Macs in the past, when the cheaper
>options have been available.

True, but I prefer mid-range, for extending the
life of the machine past 3 years.  Though any
MacPro is likely to be very usable after 3+
years.  When the time comes to upgrade, I very
likely will go with the low-end model this time,
and spend the extra on more RAM (from a 3rd
party, not Apple).

>>  OTOH, I need plenty of disk space, and more
>>than 4Gb RAM. Basically I need a Sun Ultra 24
>>running Mac OS X.
>>http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra24/index.xml
>
>That is a very appealing price & specification.
>I've never really used Sun, but it looks like
>they've hit a sweet spot for Unix workstations.

If I hadn't switched to Mac OS X for most of my
Unix needs, I'd have ordered one the second I
knew they were offering it.  I really want one to
replace my SunBlade 1000 (2x600Mhz Ultra III's),
as my current system generates so much heat I
have to limit how much I use it.

Zane