[X4U] Re: Expandable Mac's [b]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 21 20:40:37 PST 2008

On 21 Jan 2008, at 19:44, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> I'm curious as to which apps.  I do know the latest version of
> Adobe Acrobat Reader is quite sluggish.  I'm still using 6.0.2
> Professional. IIRC, the Dreamweaver CS3 demo I tried was sluggish
> as well.  I find Adobe Lightroom to work quite nicely on my G5 2x2,
> though iPhoto has gotten very sluggish.  I think these are the
> extent of my complaints.  My G4/450 after 4 years was almost
> unusable it was so slow, same with the 8500/180 after 2-3.

Believe it or not, Mail is my biggest gripe here. It takes just a few
seconds to open a mailbox when I switch to it - not long enough to
make it unusable, but enough to make me tap by fingers in irritation.

I see that my ~/Library/Mail here is 4.9gig, so the bottleneck here
may well be disk access - I have to admit that I haven't defragged
this drive in a while, and that has made a difference in the past. So
it's not sure that a MacPro would make _much_ difference - the CPU
would surely make a _little_ difference, at least - but I guess with
4 drive bays I could RAID a couple of cheap SATA drives for speed and
use them just for my home directory.

I won't use Acrobat Reader, and am narked with the way it has
recently taken over Safari on this machine. I will look into fixing
that when I do my reinstall for 10.5.

I tried Lightroom during the beta, but ended up with Aperture. I
can't remember all the details, but I think there were a couple of
things in Lightroom that I wasn't happy with & that I couldn't see
fixed within a release or so, and I really liked Aperture's stacks.
Nevertheless, with my ATi 9800 I'm finding Aperture more & more
cumbersome, yet I refuse to pay hundreds of pounds for a replacement
Apple card (even secondhand they're this price).

In fact, even though I don't use it that much, Aperture is my biggest
sticking point against again trying Linux seriously on the desktop. I
don't think there's anything in the OSS world which takes the
Aperture / Lightroom approach to RAW files. I really liked the KDE
interface last time I used it, and it was only one recurring bug that
I couldn't get to the bottom of that pushed me away from it - from
everything else I can see Linux desktops have improved immensely in
the last 5 years, and I have no reason to think that they'd give me
the same sort of problems I experienced previously. I believe that it
is impossible under 10.5 to have the dock at the top of the screen -
I have been happy with having to `write defaults` manually upon
install since 10.2, so 10.5 needs to make a positive impression in
other respects to keep me Mac.

Safari also kills me. I tend to keep windows open for weeks at a time
- uptime here is 46 days, and I have 16 Safari windows open in the
dock right now. I may refer to none of these again today - most of
them are to remind me to read the open website when I get a chance to
do so (and to follow up on the subject, of course!) - and most of
them have open tabs, too. So I guess the question is whether a
processor upgrade would make Safari load pages more quickly, or
whether I'd be better off spending a bit of money on RAM - right now
Safari consumes 1.05gig of real memory, 3.93gig of swap and many
pages are frustratingly slow, causing glitches in YouTube if I open
another page in a background tab. I'm at 3gig RAM right now, and
since mine is the 1.8gig G5 with only 4 RAM slots, I'd have to throw
away a gig in order to upgrade by only 33%. Of course, part of me
rails at Apple over my unconventional browsing habits - surely my
3gig would be better utilised by Konqueror in Linux?   ;)

Stroller.