[X4U] connecting older iMac to wireless network

Andy andy.themac at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:05:33 PST 2008

> have a friend who is trying to connect his older iMac running some

> version of OSX , to a wireless network of some kind which is

> available in his office building.

> Being an older iMac, doesn't have built in wireless etc..

> what are his options ?

> I thought maybe the Airport Express Base Station ?   all I could find

> on apple.com store is the Airport Express Base Station with AirTunes

> for $100

> He's not going to be connecting to another Apple wirless network,

> this is some wireless network available to tenants in the building.

> needs to connect via DHCP.

> any suggestions for a solution for this older iMac ?

> Kansast

How old is the iMac? From the iMac DV onwards he could just use an original
Airport card plus an adapter (not available new but there are plenty on
ebay) If it's a flat panel imac then an airport card without an adapter
would work. G4 imacs would use an Airport Extreme card. Otherwise it would
have to be one of those USB wireless adapters - You just need to check for
decent Mac drivers for them.
All these solutions would work fine with the wireless network in his
building.

Andy