[X4U] Macs which support "target disk mode"

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Tue Jan 22 12:50:58 PST 2008

I passed my dual G5 down the food chain (to my son) last weekend. We tried
to use Firewire Target Disk Mode to transfer his "stuff" from a
mirrored-doors G4, but the older computer would just shut down a few seconds
after the startup "bong" and some disk activity.

I read somewhere that some G4 computers with Open Firmware might require
booting INTO open firmware before they'd function in target disk mode. Is
that what we encountered? I tried looking in Apple's knowledge base but
didn't find an answer.

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson