[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Dave B DaveB_Lists_1004 at gto.net
Tue Jan 22 16:58:29 PST 2008

On 22-Jan-08, at 18:02, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:

> For me, "Y" is the 12" PowerBook G4. It was situated perfectly
> between the
> iBooks and the PowerBooks as something more powerful than the
> former, but
> not as large as the latter. Apple now has nothing in that space.
>
> --
> Eddie Hargreaves

And for me, "Y" would be slightly smaller but with a tougher case than
the 12" PB G4. Imagine the 12" iBook, just smaller. Or the original
iBook. Or better yet the Newton based eMate 300. That is why the ASUS
Eee PC device caught my eye. I was even more intrigued when I found
out it is running Linux and that some have managed to get Tiger
installed on it.

To clarify, I have a Nokia E61 phone and a MacBook Pro 15". I'd like
something that falls between them size wise and is rugged enough to
not require a padded protective case. It would be a "take anywhere"
machine - I currently don't go to far from home without my MBP, and
that is a bother.  WiFi is a must. Bluetooth would be highly
desirable. A webcam would be nice. A tiny charger (Like the eMate 300
had) and a couple hours of real use, not 'best case/minimal power/
optimized use' are both required. An available car charger would be an
asset, but I have a small inverter so it isn't that important. Storage
space could be low because other than the OS, most other files would
be temporarily on the machine. 20 GB would be plenty.

Intended uses include email, web browsing, basic document work (PDF,
spreadsheets, presentations, etc), music/podcast and video playback,
PIM functions (iCal and Address Book), remote computer access via SSH
and VNC/Remote Desktop, GPS navigation, and possibly some light games
for my son. I'd like to also be able to use an iSync like feature with
my main Mac, or possibly even a private .Mac like server running at
home.

Obviously this can be accomplished with existing technology, I just
wish it had an Apple logo and OS on it when it came out of the box.

Regards,
Dave

--
"...the Mac - it competes by being what it is, not by being the
cheapest version of what everyone else has"