[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Steve Self steveself at mac.com
Wed Jan 23 08:18:16 PST 2008

I consider part of the Air's contribution to be design and aesthetics.
That is EASILY worth $350-$500 more TO ME.  Clearly not to those who
do not value this aspect or who might, but do not have the cash and
are slightly cranky about it...

  I do not know if I will get one, but they are VERY NICE.

Why do companies spend tons of money in exotic wood for the outside of
speaker enclosures?  Why do car companies spend and spend on design?
And why do clothing companies, even if they are committed to
sustainability, spend a lot on design? Because IT MATTERS.  It creates
a better world (in small and major ways).  Sure some aspects of
materialistic design are fickle and overly indulgent, mere decoration
and decadent. But good design is sublime and can inspire creativity,
expansive awareness and connection. To me, that is the underlying
intent and spirit of the Air.

The design of the Air is one of its main components and contributions.
To denigrate this, deny it, or call it stupid simply reveals the lack
of aesthetic development in the one complaining.

Steve