[X4U] Quicken on Mac

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Jan 24 06:58:34 PST 2008

On 1/24/08 5:05 AM, "Linda" <XPressoBean at mac.com> wrote:

> Have you looked at Quicken for Mac?

No offense intended, Linda, but did you READ the thread to which you're
adding a message?

The original poster started out with the assertion that Quicken for Mac was
bad software with problems rarely fixed, and that Intuit (the company) now
seems to be stopping further development of it completely (at MWSF they were
talking about an "all new" application due perhaps by the end of 2008, more
than 2 years after their last iteration of Quicken for Mac - 2007 came out
late in 2006 - which will have a much smaller feature set). Specifically,
the Intuit booth staff were quite up front saying this new Mac only product
won't manage investments.

To that I'd add the following gripes about the company:

1. They've used "fear and loathing" to get people to upgrade annually to new
"versions" that don't fix the old bugs.

2. They've gouged banks by flagging communications between banks and Quicken
users so that banks have to pay separate license fees to support direct
integration with the Mac and Windows products (guess which one many banks
decide not to support).

There ARE new Cocoa products appearing for the Mac (3 or 4 were demoed at
Macworld), but many of us feel bound to Intuit because we have SO much data
in our Quicken files. I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster; it's
inconceivable to me how a company whose founding CEO is an Apple Board
Member could unfailingly treat the Mac platform as nothing but a necessary
nuisance.

Jim Robertson