[X4U] Hard drive space

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Fri Jan 25 09:00:39 PST 2008

On 1/25/08 10:42 AM, Robert wrote:

> So far nothing has worked. I have tried everything that everyone has
> suggested. If I reboot I will have 40 gb and I can watch it drop. Last
> resort will be to back up and reformat and do a clean install. Not
> looking forward to doing that  but it will be a last resort. It would
> be nice to figure out what is causing this. As I had 10.4 on this
> drive before installing 10.5 I wonder if there is something that I had
> on the drive that 10.5 does not like. Anyway thanks for all of the
> suggestions.  Bob

Bob, I saw someone ask the question but I don't recall seeing the answer,
but it's possible I missed it, so I'm going to ask again:

When the space is dropping, what does Console say at that point in time?

What does Activity Monitor show -- in the processes window, click to sort by
CPU (what's using the most?), Virtual Memory (is there something showing
40GB of VM?), etc. For example I see that my kernel_task process is using
1.77GB of VM, and I know that if I restart my computer, I usually gain two
or three GB back. Safari comes in second with 1,015.54MB of VM. What
does/did yours say? Any clues there? Do you have any Safari add-ons/plugins?

~Linda