[X4U] connecting older iMac to wireless network

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jan 26 04:24:45 PST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008, at 10:55 PM, Jens Selvig wrote:

> Do you mean you want the wireless part of the router to get the
> incoming Internet data?
>
> Jens
>
> Jens Selvig
> ...Lost in Montana...
>
> On Jan 23, 2008, at 9:44 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:
>
>> Is it also possible to just connect a wireless router to a computer
>> via ethernet and use the router's wireless to get the internet
>> connection? Sort of like the reverse of usual?

Yes, exactly.

On Jan 23, 2008, at 10:50 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

>> Is it also possible to just connect a wireless router to a computer
>> via ethernet and use the router's wireless to get the internet
>> connection? Sort of like the reverse of usual?
>
> If I understand this question, then no. If the router has an
> ethernet port, then connecting to that will give yu a wired
> connection, which will work just fine. Simply set up your Network
> tab to connect via Ethernet. But you can't connect via ethernet and
> connect via wireless.  But you don't need wireless, if you are
> already connected via a wire.
>
> Why do you ask?
>
> Daly

Sorry for the cryptic question then :-)  The original poster was
wanting to know if they could get wireless internet on an old iMac.  I
was curious if a person could connect a wireless router to their
computer *via ethernet*, then use that router's wireless radio to grab
internet from a wireless source, and DHCP/NAT the internet to the iMac
via the ethernet connection.