[X4U] USB 2 How do I tell?

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Mon Jan 28 10:21:17 PST 2008

Richard Gilmore wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Dumb question but how do I tell if my Mac is USB 2 or not? I went looking in
> the system profiler and certain devices such as my hub are sometimes listed
> as USB 2 or 480 k/sec or 12 mps but the actual USB bus on the Mac itself is
> not listed. We've got a several Macs at my work older and newer and while
> I'm sure the Mactels are USB 2 I'm not sure about the some of the G5s and
> G4s. Where does the definitive answer lie?
>
> Thanx
>
> Richard

I click on USB under Hardware in System Profiler, and then click on each
USB Bus, and I find two that are described as built-in. The details show
me what hardware is connected and at what speeds they are running. My
mouse is running at 1.5 Mb/s and my keyboard is running at 12 Mb/s.
Certainly not USB 2.0 speeds.

To be more definitive, I suppose you could connect a known USB 2.0
device to the built-in ports and check in System Profiler to see what
speed is shown. (I take it you have already done that as you show a hub
listed at 480 Mb/sec. If it were attached to a USB 1.0 port, it would
not show a speed greater than 12 Mb/sec.)

Or you could check Mactracker (app) to see what your computer model is
shown to have.
Looking at Mactracker, none of the G4s show as having USB 2.0, while all
G5 do show as having USB 2.0.
HTH