[X4U] Safari question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 20:47:43 PDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Tim Collier wrote:

> Since I have a rather largish monitor, what I sometimes do is
> resize the
> Safari window and put the download window beside it.  I usually
> don't bother
> though.
>
> Tim

Tom,

I do as well (30") that is not really the problem (as I see it). The
problem is that if a DL starts and you are busy doing other things
the current window can cover the download window and there is no easy
way to see if the download is running (or done). For instance I am at
a site and I press the download button in SAFARI. I know that it will
take at least a minute or two for the d/l to start and then then
actually download. Unfortunately at times the download takes a minute
(or more to start). I am fairly busy so I go off and read or compose
an email or both while the download is waiting to start and or
proceeding. I have no easy way to see if its done or still d/l'ing
because the d/l window is now hidden beneath another app. I have no
idea what the status is unless I can see the window. the OPTION-
COMMAND-L  might just be a partial solution I will have to try it
when I get 5-10 d/l's running later on tonight and report back. I
still would like to see the window stay on top though so I don't have
to remember the un-natural (for me) keyboard action. Does the rest of
the group find the semi hiding of the d/l window OK or doesn't it
make any difference? I talked with a friend and he said that Firefox
keeps the d/l window in front, so it sounds like that might be a
better option. I am just trying to be productive in my time so I can
multitask.

Ed