[X4U] Why does anybody ever get a USB external hard drive? snipped for size

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Jul 10 12:31:24 PDT 2008

On 9 Jul, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Jim Warthman wrote:

>> And availability. Non-Apple shops sell USB only, and if you need a
>> drive now rather than wait till next time you're in a town with an
>> Apple shop that sells FW drives, you'll end up with USB. That's why
>> I have a few USB drives.
>

> Um, no.
>
> At least here, stores like Fry's electronics sell FW and eSATA
> drives as well as USB.

True, but Fry's also sells dish washers, car stereos, cameras,
sporting goods, etc, etc, etc. They are a giant "everything" store.

You have to know exactly what is compatible with your equipment before
you step inside Fry's, otherwise you spend a lot of time searching the
shelves and reading labels before opening your wallet.

Fry's sometimes doesn't have all the options that are available. I
have also found (a couple of times) that their box labels are not
totally correct. For example: an external hard drive case that was
labeled "USB 2.0 & FW 400" contained a case that ONLY had one USB
socket, no FW socket at all. I didn't find this error until I had
driven 95 miles to home.

After that experience, I always open the box just outside their door
to verify the EXACT contents. That way, I don't have to spend another
three hours to drive an extra 190 miles round trip to make an exchange
or get a refund.