[X4U] iMovie "File Package" question

Mark Des Cotes lists at marksmandesign.ca
Thu Jul 24 06:25:20 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I don't have much experience with video but I'm having fun learning.

Last year I borrowed a friends camcorder (don't remember what kind)
to film my daughter's dance recital. After filming I plugged the
camcorder into my Mac and iMovie popped up automatically and asked if
I wanted to import the video. I did so and it created a nice folder
containing various folders and files, one of these folders called
Media contained all the various video clips I had taken. The total
hard drive space taken up was just over 10GB. I never did anything
with the files.

This year I borrowed the same camcorder and did pretty much the same
thing. Although I noticed that the newer version of iMovie I have
this year created a Package instead of a folder. I should have
realized this right away but it took me a while of searching for the
movie clips before I discovered that the file was a package and that
if I show it's contents I can see the individual clips.

Finally I decided to try out iMovie and iDVD and was able to
successfully create several DVDs of both recitals to send to relatives.

Now I have just over 21GB of HD space being used up that I would like
to clear. I want to burn a backup of the files before deleting them
and I realize 10+GB is too much for a DVD, even a DL one so I figure
I'll just burn to multiple disks. This is not a problem with last
year's files since I can open the individual folders and burn the
media content to the multiple disks and if I ever need them again I
can just load them back the way they were. However I'm not so sure
about this years file. The Package is 11GB, and I know that by
"showing contents" I can view what's in the package and even select
individual files to burn to disk but what I don't know is what will
happen in the future if I try to put them back together? Will I be
able somehow to get everything back into is nice and tidy Package?
Will I even need to? Is there anything special I should know before
backing up this year's files?

Thanks, and sorry for the wordy message for a simple question.

Mark Des Cotes