[X4U] Ext FW Drives in Multiple Mirrored RAIDs Question

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Jul 25 02:18:53 PDT 2008

On 23 Jul, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Christopher Collins wrote:

> I wonder why you would not remove the drives from their cases and
> put as many as possible inside the case?
>
> From memory, there are 3 ATA buses inside, so 6 drives should be
> able to be fitted internally (with a bit of work on brackets).

A very good reason for not putting so many drives inside the case is
that the power supply is not capable of handling that large a load.

Also, there are not enough power connectors to connect to that many
drives. Even if you remove the CD/DVD drive, there aren't enough
connectors for six drives internally.

You could install the PCI controller cards for extra drives, but
without power to them all, they don't do any good internally.

All good reasons for keeping them as external FW drives which are
portable and can be used with other computers also.