[X4U] Well, well

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Jul 25 09:57:27 PDT 2008

At 2:34 AM -0700 7/25/08, Ronald Steinke wrote:
>On 23 Jul, 2008, at 9:56 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>10.5 was a disgrace, I think with 10.5.3 my wife's MacBook might
>>finally be stable, I still need to upgrade her to 10.5.4.  My G5
>>2x2 is still sitting at 10.4.11, as I can't afford the lost time
>>from an unstable system.
>
>I was wondering, while reading the above, just how you have your OS
>configured. Are you using exotic third-party software that might be
>creating conflicts, maybe trying to run many programs
>simultaneously, under-supplied with RAM, crowding your hard drive
>content limit, etc, etc?

I just love how many people here automatically assume it's something
something I've installed on the system.  I don't install funky 3rd
party OS extensions.

It about as close to a stock system as you can get.
MacBook 2Ghz
2Gb RAM
Stock HD
Mac OS X 10.5.3
iLife '08
I think the only 3rd party app installed is MS Office 2004

10.5.0 was seriously unstable on this system, it slowly got better,
as as far as we know 10.5.3 hasn't crashed.  (if it has our son
hasn't told us)  Basically the only app our son can run is Safari,
and he's limited to a few children's sites, yet logging out was
crashing the system.  That tells me there is/was a problem with
Safari and some websites.

Now my G5 2x2 w/5.5GB RAM is always seriously overloaded, often the
HD's are borderline full, I'm running 10.4.11, and yet the only thing
that crashes it is Virtual PC.  I'm well aware of what the problem
is, it is that I have 2 2GB Kingston matched PC3200 kits that aren't
"Mac" memory.  For some reason the system is rock solid except when
running VPC.  I can live without VPC.

As many/most here know, stability concerns are only half of what has
kept me on 10.4.11, the other issue is the fact 10.5 can't run
classic software.  Considering they're apparently dropping PPC
support altogether with 10.6, they really should have left that in
10.5.

Zane