[X4U] Well, well

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Fri Jul 25 18:20:11 PDT 2008

On 26/07/2008, at 11:09 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>>> As many/most here know, stability concerns are only half of what
>>> has kept me on 10.4.11, the other issue is the fact 10.5 can't run
>>> classic software.  Considering they're apparently dropping PPC
>>> support altogether with 10.6, they really should have left that in
>>> 10.5.
>>
>> They are giving you advance notice to start moving to an Intel
>> platform so that when 10.6 is released and no longer supports PPC,
>> you can't whinge and complain that you didn't know that great
>> change was coming.
>
> You're missing the point.  Since 10.5 is the end of the line for the
> PPC, it should have also been the end of the line for Classic.
> Somehow I doubt the decision was made to drop PPC support after 10.5
> was released.

Why should it have been the end of the road for Classic? That's only
your opinion. As I understand it, Classic and the end of support for
PPC are not linked in any way.

Classic, as I understand it, relates to OS9

PPC, as I understand it relates to hardware (PPC -> Intel)

There is no direct correlation between them other than one you want to
make up.

cjc