[X4U] .Mac Homepage Public Folder

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Jun 10 08:22:38 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:11:56AM CDT, David Ledger <dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> The only restrictions Unix has is that you can't include a '/' in a
> filename. You can even use control characters - backspace, newline and
> carriage-return can give interesting results when they're displayed. It's
> still best to keep to those characters that don't have to be quoted to
> represent them to a shell. The commonest problem is spaces because they
> delimit arguments in lists and have to be quoted to a shell.

Many apps do poorly with filenames containing underlines.
Even though lots of people prefer to use an underline as
simple replacement for a space character, apps tend to see
the underline as another alphanumeric character and fails
to see it as a word delimiter.  By default, just about every
Unix editor does this (including vi and emacs) as well as
most GUI apps.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/