[X4U] .Mac Homepage Public Folder

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 18:22:32 PDT 2008

Eugene wrote:

>Many apps do poorly with filenames containing underlines.
>Even though lots of people prefer to use an underline as
>simple replacement for a space character, apps tend to see
>the underline as another alphanumeric character and fails
>to see it as a word delimiter.  By default, just about every
>Unix editor does this (including vi and emacs) as well as
>most GUI apps.

This surprises me. I've worked in Unix at a very light level, but
still, Unix, for the last 20 years. I still don't know any Unix
except to kind of navigate around and copy things and stuff like
that, but I have never run into a problem with underlines. Is this a
particular "flavor" of Unix you are talking about?

But anyway, okay, if there's some flavor that doesn't like
underlines, then maybe it's safer to stick with hyphens for all
separators?

Daly