[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 11 21:22:57 PDT 2008

At 9:00 PM -0700 6/11/08, zapcat wrote:
>On Jun 11, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>I really wish that Apple would offer a Core 2 Duo based tower in the $1500
>>range, with a couple HD bays and able to take at least 8GB RAM.  I quite
>>honestly don't want the monstrosity that is the MacPro, but nothing else
>>will meet my needs.
>
>yeah, esp to be more in line with steve jobs' professed desire to
>make more green macs

Personally I think it's a HUGE GAPING HOLE in Apples lineup.  What
gets me is that the current Mac Pro's are so far above and beyond
where something like the G4's and to a certain extent even the G5
PowerMac's sat in the lineup.

I think the real reason for the lack of such a machine is that it
forces a lot of us to buy Mac Pro's.  I know I for one can't stand
the idea of buying a Mac with a limit of only 4GB RAM, since I have
5.5GB right now and often find myself wishing for more.  Of course
the one thing about the Mac Pro's that have me drooling are the 4
internal drive bays!  Though if my RAM usage continues to climb like
it has with the G5 2x2 (512Mb to 1.5Gb to 3.5Gb to 5.5Gb) I'll be
wanting at least 16GB RAM before I get rid of a Mac Pro.  I figure
that once I break down and get a Mac Pro I'll have to have enough
cash that I can also get 8Gb RAM.  Realistically funding the RAM I
need is the real reason I wish there was a Core 2 Duo tower that
could handle 8GB RAM.

Zane