[X4U] Do computers "microwave" themselves?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Jun 13 12:18:50 PDT 2008

On Jun 13, 2008, at 11:22 AM, zapcat wrote:

> I was having a discussion about why computers "get old," and the
> other person's contention was that computer circuitry "microwaves
> itself," thereby causing degradation of the components.
>
> Now, whether the guy is referring to literal microwaves or just EMF
> I don't know, but is there some validity to his comment?

I've never heard this.

I can tell you from my personal experience that most Macintosh
personal computers never "die," they are simply eventually replaced
with a newer model.  Most long time Mac users will tell you that they
have three or four Macs in perfect working condition in a closet
somewhere.

Those few Macs that I've seen that have failed (physically) usually
have suffered from the effects of heat cycling.  That is, as the
components have expanded and contracted over time from the Mac
heating up and cooling off, eventually tiny cracks have formed in the
solder joints holding in discrete components, creating a
discontinuity.   These cracks, known as "cold solder joints" are
usually easy to fix with the touch of a soldering pen to reflow the
solder.

I've seen lots of Macs that have been diagnosed with a failed power
supply that actually simply had cold solder joints around the power
supply.  No new power supply was really necessary, just a few touches
with a soldering pen.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html