[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 15 04:20:47 PDT 2008

> Now there, Ed!
>
> You need to settle down and have a nice refreshing glass of Steve's
> Kool-Aid. You'll feel right as rain and be happy to spend $199 (plus a
> 2 year contact) for your new iPhone so you can have the privilege of
> buying your applications/music/movies from the stores.

I'm certain that there are very few people in the world who have not used a
cell phone (well, let's say in North America and Europe).  I've gone through
about 12 of them now.  I've also been with Verizon and Sprint.  I also have
experience with the O2 network in the UK and Vodafone.  I live in a major
city and have always had difficulty even receiving a signal from either
Sprint or Verizon.  With AT&T, I always have a full signal anywhere that I
travel in South Florida (including the Florida Keys).  I could never make
that claim with the other service providers.
Getting back to the cell phones, they never lived up to the claims about
them.  I am not a cyber idiot and sending a text message or email should not
require hauling out the manual to refresh yourself on the procedure.
Surfing the web and sending email with Verizon costs an arm and a leg.  The
iPhone with AT&T has to be about the best configuration that I have ever
come across.  Plus being able to use it as an mp3 player or watching a movie
is very nice, especially on trans-Atlantic flights.

> But honestly, I'm not mad at Apple and co. I'm mad at me, us, and
> everyone else who keeps encouraging them. Apple keeps making money
> because we keep spending it in their direction. When we spend it, we
> vote. "We" have been voting in favour of the iPhone, the MacBook Air
> and Leopard. Ignorant fools that we are...

I switched to the Mac from PC-Land back in 2001 and have upgraded my
computer on average of every 12 to 18 months.  I started with a G4 867 and
am now using an Intel 3.06 gig iMac as my desktop and this Intel 2.2 gig
MacBook as my laptop.  I'm running 10.5.3 and have absolutely no issues with
the OS or any of the available applications.  This includes the high end
apps from Microsoft, Adobe and Apple.  Now, were I using a G3 or G4, yes, I
think I'd be expecting 'problems'.  Keeping up with the current hardware and
software, I have never been presented with any problems.

> I'll be dammed if I'm going to pay for Snow Leopard. I've been paying
> for Leopard every day since I bought and installed it.  Bug fixes have
> been slow to come and I'm not about to pay for them just because Apple
> put's a name on them. I bought a defective product and I want it
> fixed. Now! I don't pay to be a beta tester, I get paid to be one!!!

Could you possibly give examples of the problems that your 'defective
product' exhibits?  As stated above, I've not had one single problem with
10.5, nor did I have any problems with 10.4 or 10.3 or 10.2.

> Yes, M$ is much, much worse, and there isn't a flavour of Linux that
> I'm comfortable enough with to switch to full time yet. But the reason
> the grass is so green 'over here' is because we've had so much
> fertilizer spread around lately.

Recently, I built a PC for gaming.  I put Vista Ultimate Edition on it--able
to dual boot between the 32 bit edition and the 64 bit edition.  If it
weren't for my overwhelming desire to play current games, I don't think I'd
put up with the problems that I've had with Vista (up to and including the
BSOD).  Also, Vista says it can network with the Mac.  Of course you have to
run AV software on a PC, so communication with any of my Macs is virtually
impossible short of using an FTP app.  I definitely do not like Vista but I
don't like the way the emulation software runs over OS X, especially when it
comes to graphics intensive programs like games.  Microsoft is the worst!

--
Tim Collier
MacBook 2.2 gig 2 gig RAM