[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 17 16:11:26 PDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:

> And a cell phone does what to protect you from these "dangerous
> times we live in."  Not sure where you live, but the only danger I
> fear are the idiots in charge.
> To me the cell phone is just a changing of the technology, the cord
> has disappeared. It certainly offers me no more security, and in
> fact may do just the opposite by allowing the cell phone company and
> any one else who is interested, to track my every movement, so
> security is often perceived but not really there.

Well, they probably could track where your cell phone is which is not
necessarily where you are. Cell phones have 'saved' many lives. I have
a close friend who is alive today due to the availability of a cell
phone at an accident scene. So you bet you are safer carrying a cell
phone around. I try to keep the cell phone with me all of the time
now. Unfortunately I live in an area where I can not get ATT service
(so therefore I can't get an iPhone. :(

> "Corporation IT members at the recent InfoSecurity Europe exhibition
> regarded smartphones as a growing security risk, with concern higher
> among enterprises with more than 1000 employees (97%) than smaller
> organisations (91%)."

Individuals have been stealing from Corporations for as long as they
have existed. I suppose people have been stealing for as long as we
have recorded history. Technology has not changed that aspect of our
lives.

> So it's the same old problem, we get the technology, that granted,
> can be used for a better society, but rarely does this happen with
> out just as large of negative impacts on us and our freedooms.

I am not sure what the negative impacts are but I certainly see lots
of places where 'technological improvements' have had a hugely
positive impact on my life.

To be on topic for a moment. I have a G4 933 that will be orphaned
within the next year or two at best. I wish that my old Apple IIe was
still supported  too. Progress is life! My G4 is still very useful, I
do my email with it. And you know what it still is waiting for my
feeble brain to catch up most of the time!

Jens

Jens Selvig
...Lost in Montana...