[X4U] how to view "pageouts?"

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 21:14:51 PDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 10:57 PM, zapcat wrote:

> so, basically, if I'm seeing 3 times as many page ins as page outs,
> I'm not doin so well, eh?
>
> not just as simple as seeing 1 number, and equating "High" with
> "bad" and "low" with "good"?

Zapcat:

I am *NOT* a performance analyst and really never hope to be one
either. As I said before pageins can be expensive (it also sub
depends on what you are paging in which is a whole chapter by
itself). I do NOT want to get into looking at each case as I
indicated there are (probably) no MAC tools out there to do any
reporting so anything I suggest take it as a grain of salt. I would
suggest that you bump up your memory as it is reasonably cheap. I may
be in error but it was cheaper a year ago so don't wait.

I do not know anywhere near enough about how MAC OS's (releases) page
so I wouldn't want to say do this or do that. At least one other
manufacture prides itself in performance tools. Mac does not seem to
have the tools (it also requires that the OS know enough to keep
track of certain things like how long a page in or out takes). So if
the OS doesn't keep track of items then any tool you may have is
almost useless. There are one or two cavets in that  but you get the
idea I hope.

Ed