[X4U] which G5 iMac model is best?

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 20:05:06 PDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Dave B wrote:

> Well, if you like to do your own work, then get an earlier model
> without the iSight built in. It takes  less than a minute to open
> it up and have easy access to the RAM slots, hard drive and optical
> drive. The models with the built in iSight are much more difficult
> to open up, though the RAM slots are easily accessible. If you are
> not concerned with making modifications/repairs yourself, then get
> the newest/fastest/biggest you can find/afford.
>
> In everyday use, the difference between the 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz
> models will be insignificant.
>
> HTH
> Dave

I look at any computer with the following idea: How expandable is it?
Can I add more disk (or larger disks) How much memory can I add, How
much video memory can I add, do I need additional optical disk
builtin, how about future adding CPU's, or how many external disk(s)
can I add. IOW what could I add without essentially replacing the
guts. internal/external disk both have their place do I have to
option to add more is an open ended question. If the system is going
to be only in use for a year then probably some of those questions
need not be answered (or ignored). How long are you going to be using
the machine is a basic one and that starts the decision tree, IMO.

Ed