[X4U] "Backwards Compatibility"

Ray Choiniere rfcee at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 19 10:15:53 PDT 2008

>> Tell me, which part of the hardware/software industry gives you
>> your pay check.  You're one of two people here really trying to
>> convince people they need to go out and waste their money.
> No, not "one of two people". There are others here who just didn't
> chime in.
>
>> There are ways that Apple could insure those of us with older
>> software can still run it, they've just chosen to ignore them.
> Sure they could but then what would be the price of software? Do you
> think that it costs nothing?

And on and on and on. . .

>> Your comments show what is wrong with society today.
> Nothing is wrong with society today. All you guys want to do is
> complain.

OK, folks, enough already, please.

I think the discussion has reached the point where the real issue now
is pride. I've watched this sort of thing on many lists over time, and
I note that what happens seems to be that some persons feel his or her
pride has been injured and ends up trying to preserve it by attacking
the other person's pride — all in the disguise of rational discussion
— which of course invites counter-retaliation, and on and on.

Perfectly decent and honorable people get caught up in this, so I
intend no personal criticism in what I'm saying here. But I do suggest
that it would be good for the list and good for the individuals who
are struggling with wounded pride (however unwittingly they do so)
simply to let it go. It's tough, as I know from personal experience,
but truly, how about just simply not pursuing this issue at all any
more?

OK; now let's see whether I will need to defend my pride against some
disagreeable respondant. . . .  ;-)

Thanks to everyone.

Ray